Money Forward

This blog is about money and trying to keep my money from flying out the window.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Goals

I'm sure these will change in the future, but at least this will be something to work from.

Short-term (Now-2 years)
New car - Mine is 10 years old and since I have to drive to work now, I would feel better about being in a more reliable car.
Two ROTH IRAs - at least started

Mid-term (3-5 years)
Half of student loans paid
- I'm only looking at half since we looked at the numbers and we would do better saving a decent amount of money and waiting longer to pay off the loans than if we just paid them off as fast as possible (which would take several years without much savings).
Downpayment for a house - I'm hoping for between $80k-100k since houses here are so expensive and I would prefer to have a 20% downpayment.

Long-term (5-10 years)
$250k net worth
- Although this seems low, I think it will be hard enough to get to considering our $40k of student loan debt and high expenses that we can't get rid of. We may try to cut more things out, but we're already down to bare minimum in many instances.

Another strain on our goals is that I'm going to school part time and I have 7 more semesters left if I keep on track. Depending on classes that will cost between $4000-$5500 a semester (3 semesters a year).

So that at least is a start. Hopefully they're achievable goals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home