Money Forward

This blog is about money and trying to keep my money from flying out the window.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Wedding - What I'd do differently (Part 1)

Luckily, my wife's parents paid for almost the whole wedding. This was a huge help since I would not know how to afford a wedding that my wife wanted. Interesting how women want these sometimes large, glamorous weddings, yet they turn out to feel somewhat different. My wife, for example, doesn't feel like it was all that wonderful just because it was too short and we were so busy with pictures and all of the other stuff.

Knowing how much the wedding cost, I would have changed a lot of things. First, I think we would have made it a lot smaller. There was really no need for a big wedding, or anything that glamorous, as fun as it was. This, of course, was not my choice though. My father-in-law was giving away his last, and most favored, daughter. He of course wanted to make it a wonderful experience, and therefore didn't spare much expense. I wouldn't have minded cutting it a bit and using the extra towards our future goals. Even cutting the cost by $10,000 would have made a huge difference in our finances, and we probably could have cut a lot more.

So my first conclusion is that it was too big. I think we could have had a great time with a wedding of only 40-50 people. To include family and friends, though, required us to invite a lot more. Plus we didn't want a small wedding. We didn't know any better. The cost per person expenses was at least $80-$90. Cut the list by 50 or so and that's almost $5000 in our pocket. That would have been nice.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow...this "I'd do it differently" comes right after the honeymoon post. Should we read more into this? :)

    On a serious note, weddings are really more for the families and how everyone else wants it done :), so you could have saved some money...but in the process left some other people thinking "that could have been better" :)

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We were lucky to get married about 2000 miles away from either of our families, and 2500 miles away from college.

    So the wedding was small by necessity, and that's the way we wanted it. I think we ended up with about 15 people from each side of the family, and 5 or 10 friends.

    That was still bigger than I *wanted*, but a lot smaller than it would have been, if we'd been closer to extended family!

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger MoneyFwd said…

    Maybe I didn't mention that it was a great party and everyone had a lot of fun and continued to tell us how great of a party it was. And we enjoyed ourselves, I just think that size doesn't equal greatness.

    golbguru: yea, others could have been left to think that it could have been better, but I also don't care what people think (although my wife often does, especially when it comes to family). And although everyone said they had a great time, the price was still ridiculous. Just making it smaller and everything could have made it very different and cheaper.

    samerwriter: you did it the right way. most people I talk to say that they wish they had done it that way.

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Revanche said…

    Argh, I have a HUGE family and feel bound to do the huge wedding thing. It's a little disheartening that I've never heard a single person say they were glad their wedding was big!

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger MoneyFwd said…

    ms. miniducky.. do whatever you want. you will never make everyone happy, and it's not about them anyway. that at least is my conclusion.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home