Money Forward

This blog is about money and trying to keep my money from flying out the window.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Dropping Capital One

I originally got a Capital One card because the rewards seemed decent enough and it was accepted everywhere I needed to use it (especially for my tuition). Although the travel rewards aren't too bad, they aren't as good as other places I've seen. Since I mostly wanted this for those rewards, I don't see why I should stick with a program that isn't maximizing my benefit. For example, USAA offers around an 100 point:$1 reward conversion for airlines (and less points per dollar further up the scale), with various levels of redeem-ment, even around the $250 mark, which is a key area where most plane tickets I want fall into. Not only that, but if I buy a ticket through their program that costs $220, they give me a credit of $30 on my account to make sure I get the full 100 points:$1. That's a good deal. Capital One's program allows me to get a ticket that is under $150 for 15,000 points, and a ticket between $150-$350 for 35,000 points, and they don't give you back the difference. Shody deal. And to get cash it's 20,000 points for $100. RIDICULOUS.

To avoid all of this trouble, I'm dealing with my AAdvantage stuff, and I got a new credit card that gives 3% for gas, groceries, and that stuff, and 1% for everything else. I know I can probably do better than that, but generally it is with AmEx which does me no good since I can't pay my tuition with it, or there are more strict limits than this card. So I'm sticking with this and the money will just go into a separate savings account for travel. I figure it's the best way for now.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're making me realize that I don't take enough advantage of cc rewards/rebates. We primarily use Discover and Amex, and I think we get something like 1% cash back on Discover and 2% back on Amex purchases at Costco, but I don't even know!

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger MoneyFwd said…

    You should definitely look into this. If you are good with credit cards, this can be an extra bonus that is NOT taxed. Even if it's only $100 or so a year, it's still $100 you didn't have before.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home