Money Forward

This blog is about money and trying to keep my money from flying out the window.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Squeezing what I can from miles programs

Now that I've signed up for the AAdvantage program (it's free), I want to get as many miles as possible. Luckily I have a miles card that is not on the same rewards program. This means I'm going to be increasing my miles faster (although on different programs that can't be put together, but that doesn't matter).

Here's how it works. If I use my credit card that is registered with the AAdvantage Dining program, I get 3 miles per $1 spent. On my current credit card, I get 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants. So if I go to a certain restaurant, and say I get a $50 meal including tax and tip, I will get 150 AA miles, and 100 other miles. Not a bad deal.

For eshopping, I go through the AA shopping site and if I want something from Sharper Image that costs $75. I get 5 miles per $1 (375 miles), plus 75 miles on my other card. This works in other variations as well. The only disadvantage is that I will not be getting AA miles for most of my regular purchases. This will slow down their growth. But, I will still be getting miles on my credit card. Overall, I'm part of 2 mileage programs with no fees. Seems to be pretty good in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home