Money Forward

This blog is about money and trying to keep my money from flying out the window.

Monday, March 12, 2007

A bit behind... updates

I haven't posted in a while, but I'll catch up eventually.

Anyway, I did my networth and I'm up by a chunk now. The big increase was from our tax return. Of course, ideally we should be getting little back from the IRS, but for several reasons we did not do that. First, my wife claimed 0 exemptions since she was working on and off while in school and so that was the best way to make sure we didn't pay too little. I have 1 exemption because we need the money to survive. But, we also got the lifetime learning credit and the tuition deduction which is what really boosted up our return. Since my wife will not have a full-time steady job until september, we're just going to keep going on this path for now. The return was nice anyway because it came at a great time and now I know my tuition will be set through the end of the year.

The money experiment, as I said before, is a learning experience. This was from February 28th after close of the stock market:




This was before the bigger crash which I went about 3% down. It's back in the positive now. So I've done ok so far. I was up about 12% at one point and I should have maybe thought about making a move, but I didn't. Of course, this is only the first month, so I have a more time to let this grow, and I believe it will.

I've also started to look for alternative incomes. We just don't make enough to really do all that we want to do, and so it makes sense to see what's out there. So far I've done a lot of surveys and I'm still waiting for the cash to be credited. I've done some stuff on CashDuck as well. I'm not sure how long I can stick with all of these since it really depends on how much free time I have... and right now I don't have a lot. But we can use all we can get.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are those credit card balances due to 0% APR arbitrage offers? or they are just due to purchases?

    I am guessing they are 0% offers because you have a lot of liquid cash in your HSBC account while you are carrying those balances.

    Are those CC arbitrages causing a lot of favorable change in your passive income?

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger MoneyFwd said…

    They're all 0% BT offers.

    It's providing something, but not a lot. $40 or so a month before taxes isn't great, but since we don't have any extra to put into savings, it's at least something. And the $5000 brokerage is from the BTs as well. That one will hopefully do better than just leaving it in a savings account.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home