Money Forward

This blog is about money and trying to keep my money from flying out the window.

Friday, December 01, 2006

Is buying organic worth it?

This is an interesting article I read today from a doctor. He outlines what makes a food product "organic" and desputes that organic food is actually better for you. He accepts that it is porbably better for the environment, but if you buy it for health reasons, you're wasting your money. he even refers to a study done by Consumer Reports.

I've always tended to think that organic is generally not worth my money and makes little difference to me. I also am a fan of genetically modified foods for various reasons. I majored in Environmental Studies in college and I consider myself an environmentalist, even though some people would say that I'm not. I would (and do) buy organic because I do think it helps the environment and often smaller farmers. My level of buying organic products though is really pretty low because I don't have much extra money. If I can get a similar product that isn't less health, then I will pay the few dollars less for that. I do buy organic when I either find a product I like that is organic so I stick with it, if the food I like only comes as organic, or if when I want something only the organic type is available.

If you believe strongly in supporting smaller farms and protecting the environment (and are against modern methods of genetic modification), then organic can possibly be worth it. For me, maybe someday, but in the back of the mind I really can't wait to be able to have my own garden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home